9/17/12

Movie of the Week: Tourist Trap





I saw this two or three times when I was in the sixth grade (1980) via the cable TV hookup we'd just gotten at our house. In subsequent years I've thought maybe my age and inexperience with horror movies was the reason why I was so thoroughly creeped out by this film. But I revisited it a few years ago and found it to be as troubling as ever. Inexplicably, this surreal, transgressive and disturbing movie carries a PG rating.




But despite all the pediophobia-related trauma, Tourist Trap has a sense of humor. It would make a good double bill with Motel Hell for this reason. Plus you get Chuck Conners, the lovely Tanya Roberts (of Beastmaster fame), automatons, roadside tourist attractions, telekinesis, a Volkswagon Thing, a fantastic musical score by the great Pino Donaggio, and an ending that still makes my skin crawl. Don't miss it.

Embedding Disabled - CLICK HERE

No comments: